Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Certainties

Confession time.  I am a person given to cyclical episodes of depression and occasional anxiety.  And I don't mean having "the blues" or getting stressed about a busy schedule.  I mean the clinical, mostly inexplicable, sometimes terrifying, why-do-I-feel-this-way variety.  How I've treated these besetting mental maladies in the past and present might make good material for a future post, but for today, let it be sufficient to say that the best medicine I've found so far is a healthy dose of certainty.

I know, by God's grace, through His Word and the working of the Holy Spirit in my heart, that certain things are True.  I know:  that God loved me before the world began (Ephesians 1:4-5).  I know: that God saved me with purposeful intention (Ephesians 2:4-5) when I was a child.  I know: that God has proven Himself faithful (Psalm 77:10-12).  I know: that what God started, He will finish (Philippians 1:6).  I know: that one day these vagaries of my mind and body will be cured completely (1 Corinthians 15:53).

Those are the heavy duty nuts and bolts that hold my life together.

No comments: