Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Indescribable

How do you quantify the love a parent has for a child? If it's even possible, how can you describe the extra dimension added to that love when the child is one that was given very little hope of survival by doctors?

My youngest as yet has no real conception of the miracle his life is. Sometimes (well, often) I'm simply overwhelmed by the fact that he is with us and is fully functional, beautiful, intelligent and ornery in spite of having ARPKD. Last night I sat with him on the couch and held him as if I were holding some wonderful treasure, awed by the realization that he is mine. He is a dream, a blessing from God, and a testimony to his brothers of God's goodness.

The point that I'm getting at, and won't get to no matter how hard I try, is to try and describe this kind of love. It can't be done. All I can say is that it's real, it's bigger than me, and it can't be stopped. It must be so, then, that the love of God for His children must be just as extravagant. Kissing my boy's scruffy little head every morning is pure joy. Could it really be true that my heavenly Father feels this way about me?

6 comments:

jennamduncan said...

hehe. I love little Matty! :) He is definitely one of God's finest miracles! God knew that I couldn't survive without my little hide and seek buddy! :)

The Blainemonster said...

Yeah, he is AWETHUM!

Anonymous said...

I alwasy connect with posts about fatherhood, parenting and kids. I love being a Dad....it is my greatest purpose and ministry!

The Blainemonster said...

Al, I could not agree more! :)

Karin said...

Could it really be true that my heavenly Father feels this way about me? I think that's exactly what He's been trying to teach me all these years, after 3 kids and 9 grands! I think I'm finally getting it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I was blessed.

The Blainemonster said...

Karin - Isn't He amazing? :)