Monday, October 12, 2009

Lux Exerit

For a proper beginning to this post, open the following link in a new tab or window and listen to "A Little Bit of Light" while you read . . .

A Little Bit Of Light - Album Version - Phil Keaggy

I've done it again and started reading a third book while in the midst of two others. Surely I'm not the only person on earth who does this. I suppose it's the paper equivalent of channel surfing...only more worthwhile.

At any rate, what I picked up was a biography of Vincent Van Gogh and it's fascinating. It's amazing to me to watch the growth and transformation of this creative, troubled, struggling man's art. He surely would have been an interesting character to know, had he allowed me into his world. He studied the work of many great men but disdained copying their techniques, he was dependent on his brother's monthly stipend for many years, he married a prostitute, and, much like Hosea, stayed with her for a very long time in spite of her repeated unfaithfulness. The stages of his life were characterized by searching and yearning for truth and love.


I don't know if the phrase originated with Van Gogh, but he had written in the margins of a Rembrandt etching the words "In medio noctis vim suam lux exerit" : In the middle of the night light spreads its power.

Now, as a Believer saved by grace, that makes me think of many things: the darkness of fallen man, the yearning for hope, the glory of the Savior, the power of God, the blessedness of redemption.

I for one am thankful that I've been sought out by the Savior and given hope, so much hope. Even in darkness, light shines - and it shines powerfully.

"Even in darkness, light dawns for the upright..." Psalm 112:4

No comments: