Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Pockets of God's Children

So I'm sorting the laundry the other day and I feel a large and suspicious lump in the front pocket of my 7 year old's jeans. Upon investigation, I discovered the following:


These are actually sublime moments for a parent. I couldn't begin to recount the various and sundry articles I've removed from my boys' pockets over the years (the aforementioned 7 year old is the fifth). And whenever I find a Lego or pocketknife or something that used to be alive, I'm reminded of several things, kind of all at once like a warm blanket of fond memories: the adventure of childhood, the wonder of the great big wide world, and how much I love my kids, even when they're ornery - or worse.

I would do well to remember that my affection and affinity for my kids is no different than the Heavenly Father's love for me, except that His is much, much better. It's perfect. I really need to remember that His love toward me is tender, though severe when necessary, but always, always, I have His affection. The same is true for all who have trusted Christ in repentance and become His sons (or daughters) thus and members of His family forever.

I tend to be pretty hard on myself. Perhaps you are that way. It's an easy thing for me to imagine that God isn't pleased with me, or that I've failed Him for the last time. There's nothing wrong with introspection and having an honest view of ourselves, but that's got to be balanced with the proper view of God and His faithfulness and fatherly patience. That, and the fact that I think He is actually quite pleased with his kids most of the time, just as I am with mine.

No comments: