Friday, May 20, 2011

What David Prayed

"Then King David went in and sat before the LORD and said, 'Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?'" 1 Chronicles 17:16

OK, now go back and read that again...only this time use your imagination.

David has just left a profound meeting with Nathan the prophet. Nathan announced the staggering news of God's sovereign choice to establish David and his kingdom. David is floored by the pronouncement. He walks in a humbled haze down the palace hall to a room where he can be alone. He flops down in a chair carved of aromatic cedar and puts his head in his hands as the news sinks in. He can only think of how ill-equipped he is to lead and how well he understands his own weaknesses and shortcomings, and yet, somehow, God in His infinite wisdom and sovereign grace has chosen . . . him.

Ever felt like that?

Who am I, that the baby diagnosed in utero with ARPKD almost eight years ago is happy, healthy and thriving in my home today?

Who am I, that the Lord has me in a regular preaching ministry in spite of my laziness and formerly debilitating fear of public speaking?

Who am I, that the Lord continues His grace and keeps me even though my heart is prone to wander?

Who am I, that I have such a gracious, patient and compatible wife even though I'm so hard to be married to?

Who am I, that my five sons honor and love me even though I know I am not worthy of love and honor? And who am I that I should be blessed to have them in my life?

Who am I? Who are you?

"To the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves!" Ephesians 1:6

No comments: