Monday, July 30, 2012

Acetaminophen & Anti-depressants & Jesus

I'm looking for feedback.

When I have a headache, I take acetaminophen because I don't really like that kind of pain.  When I'm uncomfortably sore from a workout, I might take ibuprofen or aspirin.  I know plenty of folks who live with chronic physical pain and manage it with meds. 

There are also many people who live with chronic psychological maladies.  Not the I-feel-compelled-to-run-around-lighting-buildings-on-fire kind of maladies, but (for example) legitimate depressive tendencies that can be managed by medications.  Oh, and I happen to be one of them.

My opinion has become that since our entire being (body and soul) as humans is corrupted by The Curse, we suffer not only physically but psychologically.  I'm pretty sure that when Jesus saved me, he didn't take away my headaches or my torn biceps tendon.  Makes sense, then, that if believers aren't delivered from physical infirmities (for the most part - but of course I concede that God indeed still heals and delivers in a miraculous sense when He chooses to), that many of us will still suffer from illnesses affecting the mind.  So I make the point that if a person suffers from chronic back pain, they should seek treatment to ease that pain.  Additionally, if a person suffers from legitimate mental depression, they should also seek treatment.  I am effectively lumping both mental and physical ailments in the same category, as far as the necessity of ongoing treatment is concerned.

In this space, I'm not looking for a discussion about misdiagnoses or diagnoses that are handed out too easily and quickly in the case of psychological handicaps.  I don't want to discuss addiction either, although that is a problem for some. Just looking for feedback on the few thoughts I've shared above.

Pain in our body that is not managed can become a handicap and a hindrance.  I contend that the same is true for properly diagnosed psychological illness.

Post Script - I should add that I recommend prayer no matter what the condition...:)

No comments: