Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Castaways In Need Of Ropes

Farther along we’ll know all about it
Farther along we’ll understand why
Cheer up my brothers, live in the sunshine
We’ll understand this, all by and by

Tough days.  If you've experienced depression of the type that is more than what so many people define as a "bad mood" or a "ho-hum day", and if you've known melancholy that goes beyond what others understand as a couple days that have been a downer, then you might know what real depression is.  Sometimes it is exacerbated by circumstances, but not always.  It typically appears in cycles that could be weeks, months or years apart, and the duration of the experience can stretch on and on before it lifts.

For me it's a draining of all desire, sadness like a hot uncomfortable blanket, inability to concentrate on work – fatigue of the mental muscle. It means days when frustration and anger and dismal delusions have you so stirred up in your mind that your gut follows suit and you find yourself physically ill as your insides churnIt means being dulled, sapped and weary.  Too often as well it means becoming reclusive and avoiding people and surrendering to lethargy.

What depression doesn't mean for me is that I've lost hope in my Redeemer, and it doesn't mean that I'm not moved by Truth.  What I'm learning is that my fallen, fault-riddled self is given to these cyclical episodes of serious depression and that in the midst of these periods I don't have to give in to the sins of unbelief and bitterness because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

This modern version of "Farther Along" by Josh Garrels fills my heart with hope and healing, and it also happens to sound a bit in places like something Tracy Chapman would write. :) Drink it in.

No comments: