Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Great Grandpa John ~ A Repost

This is my great-grandpa John. I like this picture of him for a couple of reasons. First, it's kind of fun to imagine him standing there in the grass, waiting for this photo to be taken, little knowing that he'd have a great-grandson one day who would cherish the resulting picture. Second, this shot gives a great view of great-grandpa John's long arms and big hands. And that's cool because I'm built the same way.


I remember as a kid riding around in my grandpa George's (John's son) Chevy truck. Grandpa always drove below the speed limit, so I had plenty of time to observe things, and oddly enough, the thing that sticks in my mind is the way his hands held the steering wheel. This wasn't really a big deal until one day much later in life when I was driving and I happened to cast a glance at my hands on the steering wheel, looking exactly like grandpa George's. John, George and Blaine - the same hands.

So DNA has built into me reflections of my ancestors. I think our spiritual formation happens in much the same way. In fact, it's encouraged:

" Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice." Philippians 4:9and...

"Remember your leaders, who spoke the Word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith." Hebrews 13:7


I can very easily name for you the people that have passed on to me their "spiritual DNA." The ones I've watched since I was a child; the ones I've imitated and patterned my life after. Some of me came from part of them. These are the people that taught me how to pray, how to be honest, how to love God in every moment, how to be thankful, how to be devoted, how to be joyful, and how to love my wife. Role models are hugely important, but even more important is the responsibility to be one. The duty and obligation is mine to live circumspectly and wisely because I have sons to raise and other young people that are watching me very closely. Someday, they'll be driving along life's road and glance down at themselves and recognize something that they once saw in me. Hopefully, what they see will be a reflection of Christ.


No comments: