Monday, December 8, 2008

Abundant Truth

Leading an assembled group of believers in worship on Sunday morning is something akin to choosing a paint color that everyone likes, or carpet that everybody can agree on.

There will always be critics, because musical taste is so subjective, and these criticisms can sometimes be a little tiring (and I've certainly been on that side of the mic before). However, the criticisms don't bother me when I know that I have been careful to choose songs full of abundant truth. The best songs for corporate worship declare the Truth about who God is, the Truth about the Redeeming Christ, and the faithful work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. Corporate worship should set forth doctrine and magnify the character of Almighty God. It is not a time for sappy love songs. It is not a time for whipping yourself into an emotional frenzy. Did I say that? I did.

I have nothing against emotions in worship. Just this morning I was in tears driving to work while listening to a favorite song that came on the radio (I had to actually drive PAST the office while the song played out...). But what I shun in corporate worship is a forced emotional state that substitutes for a true experience of praise. It is truly moving indeed when my emotions are brought to the surface by solid Biblical Truth in the words of a song.

One contemporary songwriter who is creating this kind of music is Stuart Townend. The simple, hymnlike melodies of "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" and "In Christ Alone" are matched with lyrics that are like steps carved in the side of a mountain, leading one higher and higher. The sound doctrine contained in these songs is refreshing and irrefutable. It exalts Christ and proclaims the work of God. It encourages and assures the true believer.

Here is "How Deep the Father's Love For Us", performed by someone other than Stuart Townend, but this guy sings skillfully and plays a Taylor...



No comments: