Friday, September 18, 2009

Image Is Everything

On the topic of redeemed men and women being conformed to the image of Christ, Francis Schaeffer has this to say:

"Wherever one turns one sees mankind, meant to be the image-bearer of God - but what a distorted image! Marred and soiled, often speaking more of the devil than of God. Mankind's morality twisted, mankind's rationality contorted, believing all sorts of strange things, whether it be in the jungles of a primitive society or in the jungles of the modern university. Love, completely distorted. Man, created to be the image of God, to think, to act, to feel, to be rational and moral, to have real significance in the area of rationality and morality and beauty and love - and now look at mankind. The German concentration camps exhibited all this, but 'nice' people exhibit it too. The woman walking the street for her living, yes, but the nice people too. 'In the image of God,' yet how terribly we sometimes reflect that image. Yet God the Father has 'predestinated us to be conformed to the image of his Son,' this Son of God, this marvelous one." Excerpted from The Finished Work of Christ.


Our redemption is, of course, no small thing. Predestination is a powerful doctrine. And sanctification, the process by which we grow in holiness, is perhaps the most amazing. When I look around me at the rest of mankind, when I look inside me at my still far-from-perfected heart, I am amazed: amazed that God should choose me in the first place, and amazed that I've made any progress in holiness at all. Obviously, it is only by the Spirit's help. It's a huge encouragement for me personally.

3 comments:

semper reformanda said...

some recent thoughts on sanctification that i keep being reminded of: http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2009/09/rethinking-sanctification-because-i-have-to/#more-2972

The Blainemonster said...

Kevin -
That was an amazing little post. It was like reading my autobiography! One of the best lines was, "New life stages present you with new ways to show off your fallen nature." I just can't begin to count how many times I've been surprised and frustrated by my own behavior. In the midst of it all, though, I think ( I HOPE ) I'm learning to lean more heavily on Christ.

semper reformanda said...

i know it's only 10 days old, but i'm not sure i've had a day go by yet, where that post hasn't come to mind..."Sanctification has more to do with how often you are broken before him, not your stoic ability to deal with pain. Sanctification has more to do with a recognition of your weaknesses than of your strengths. Sanctification has more to do with repentance than with the things that don’t require repentance."

btw, what else of schaeffer's have you read...i've not read anything yet...what would you recommend?

well, have a safe trip to WI. talk to you later.