Wednesday, September 2, 2009

On Paying Attention


I need continual steering input to keep my life between the guardrails. The excerpt below helps keep the road signs in sharp focus.

Preserve me from a false estimate of the whole or a part of my character; may I pay regard to my principles as well as my conduct, my motives as well as my actions.

Help me never to mistake the excitement of my passions for the renewing of the Holy Spirit, never to judge my religion by occasional impressions and impulses, but by my constant and prevailing disposition.

May my heart be right with Thee, and my life as becometh the Gospel. May I maintain a supreme regard to another and better world, and feel and confess myself as stranger and a pilgrim here.

From "True Religion", page 65 of this book (please click the cover for more info):




No comments: