Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Payson of Maine . . . and Me

Edward Payson, American Congregational preacher from Maine, early 19th century:

"I have sometimes heard of spells and charms to excite love, and have wished for them, when a boy, that I might cause others to love me. but how much do I now wish for some charm which should lead men to love the Saviour! . . . Could I paint a true likeness of Him, methinks I should rejoice to hold it up to the view and admiration of all creation, and be hid behind it forever. It would be heaven enough to hear Him praised and adored. But I can not paint Him; I can not describe Him; I can not make others love Him; nay, I can not love Him a thousandth part so much as I ought myself. O, for an angel's tongue! O, for the tongues of ten thousand angels, to sound His praises."

I know in my own life I have often been dull towards the Spirit of God and the glory of our Savior - still am, at times. But, mercifully, I also know the yearning feeling of wanting others to wake up and with eyes wide open see the beauty of Christ. It's almost unbelievable how many folks can coast through a meeting where the Truth is fervently, earnestly sung about and preached and remain as dull as dirt and completely unmoved. But it doesn't matter; for my part, I want to lift up my Redeemer with all that I am, as best as I can. No, I can't love Him like I ought, but I'm working on it.

4 comments:

THEOparadox said...

Blaine,

I'm encouraged by this. As the old hymn-writer cried, "More love, O Christ, to Thee, more love to Thee!"

What can compare to the worth of our Savior? The Indescribable Gift for which we praise the Father and count all things loss!

I think God loves to hear and answer this prayer: "More love, O Christ, to Thee!"

The Blainemonster said...

I know, it's those time when you get a really good glimpse of Christ's awesome-ness that you realize what a jar of clay you really are! :)

Anonymous said...

One (of many) thing I have been struck with to consider is the reality we have of being 'image-bearers' of God. We are made in the image of God... we bear His image! SIN. Image-bearing defaced. This is some of the picture I have begun to see and understand as I'm reading S.B. Ferguson's book - The Christian Life. He keeps up, chapter after chapter, pointing is big and small ways to this reality I have not understood.
I would encourage myself, you and even Payson to rejoice in the wonder that we are created in the image of God. True, the angels can sing of His worth and glory, but we have the joyful privilege to bear His image before the onlooking prinicipalities and powers. This is a mystery the angels crane their necks to observe (that is, if angels even have necks ;)
I just wanted to share this bit of joy I am seeing as I read... God is good.

Let everything that has breath... Praise the LORD!

The Blainemonster said...

Tim - that IS so cool! Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! :)