Monday, May 24, 2010

Aggravate

"We must lay siege to the hardness of our own hearts, and aggravate sin all we can . . . Conviction will breed contrition, and this leads to humiliation. Therefore desire God that He would bring a clear and a strong light into all the corners of our souls, and accompany it with a spirit of power to lay our hearts low." ~ Richard Sibbes, from The Bruised Reed

I've been learning of late the importance of encountering the "eruptions of my corruptions" (John Owen) with spiritual aggression. That is, actively looking to Christ as the only rescue I have from my sinful frailty, and giving the devil not the slightest foothold: giving no quarter to the smallest glimmer of temptation.

This takes more than just human effort. It isn't like doing 100 push-ups or holding my breath for three minutes. If only it were that easy! This battle is one that is against spiritual forces of evil, and the weapons I must use are not tangible ones.

These battles are won or lost based on my humility before, and therefore dependence upon, the Spirit of God and the work of Christ. "We must look on Christ, who was bruised for us, look on Him whom we have pierced with our sins." The cross is our victory, and love for Christ is the motivation to "aggravate sin all we can."

No comments: