Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Jesus Loves the Church

"Husbands, love your wives . . . "

I love my wife.

I love to watch her when she's laughing (especially when I've made her laugh) - I can get lost in her eyes!

I love to see her taking care of our boys when they're sick - her intuition is almost supernatural.

I love how proud she is of our sons (and she tells them so).

I love to tell people what an incredible teacher she is - she's been homeschooling for 10 years so far.

I love to make her coffee in the morning because it pleases her so much.

I love how happy it makes her when I listen closely to her while she tells me all about her day.

I love her opinion of me - whether I'm preaching, singing or being a dad - her opinion is the only human one that matters to me.

I love to watch her kissing our two youngest boys good night after they've fallen asleep - she looks at their faces and strokes their hair.

I love the way she depends on me for so many things.

However, I am a husband who is weak, riddled with weaknesses, often selfish, sometimes emotionally reclusive, and basically dim-witted. But somehow I manage to adore this woman God has united me with.

Now, if something like this can happen - if this love can be so great in spite of human frailty - can we even begin to conceive the love Christ must have for his Bride, the elect, the heirs according to His vow?

Open the link below in a new tab and listen to Keaggy's song about the love of Christ for His Bride (lyrics below):
Jesus Loves the Church (Album Version) by Phil Keaggy

You say that You believe in us,
At times I wonder why
You say You see the Father in our eyes.
But I think if I were You, Lord,
I'd wash my hands today,
And turn my back on all our alibis.

And we crucify each other,
Leaving a battered, wounded bride,
But Jesus loves the church.
So we'll walk the aisle of history,
Towards the marriage feast,
For Jesus loves the church.

We fight like selfish children,
Vying for that special prize,
We juggle with our gifts before Your face.
And I know You look with sorrow
At the blindness in our eyes
As we trip each other half-way thru the race.

And we crucify each other,
Leaving a battered, wounded bride,
But Jesus loves the church.
So we'll walk the aisle of history,
Towards the marriage feast,
For Jesus loves the church.

I want to learn to love like You,
I don't know where to start,
I want to see them all but through Your eyes.
For You believed enough to live
Amidst the maddened crowd
Enough to die before our very eyes.

But we crucify each other,
Leaving a battered, wounded bride,
But Jesus loves the church.
And so we'll walk the aisle of history,
Towards the marriage feast,
For Jesus loves the church.
Yes we'll walk the aisle of history,
Towards the marriage feast,
For Jesus loves the church.

And as He hung in naked grief,
Bleeding for our crimes
He saw our fickle hearts and cried, I Love You.

No comments: