Thursday, May 20, 2010

Being Bruised

Sinking into bed last night, I couldn't find the book I'd been reading (still can't...hmmm) so I picked up another one off the "coming soon" stack and read the first chapter. The book is "The Bruised Reed" by Richard Sibbes. One sentence stopped me in my tracks and instantly quieted my soul.

"After conversion we need bruising so that reeds may know themselves to be reeds, and not oaks."

Amen. I need to know this. I need to KNOW this. Pain, loss, trial, pressure, doubt: all of these reveal our true lack of oakish strength and the ever faithful strength of the Redeemer. I need Him more than ever. Or, as much as ever, and I'm only realizing it more and more. In some mysterious way, the narrow way is a strange mingling of suffering and joy. But I don't mind, because Jesus has gone this way before, and His comfort is mine: 2 Corinthians 1:5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These things are not clear to me. You've given me something timely to consider here. Am I avoiding patient endurance?
Thanks brother.

The Blainemonster said...

I have a feeling this book is going to be pretty amazing...:)