Wednesday, September 8, 2010

On Laundry and Learning Young

So this morning my 12 year old son comes upstairs laughing because he had turned one of his undershirts pink while doing his laundry. There are two very precious items in this short story. First, my 12 year old is doing his own laundry! Second, he learned the lesson of separating whites before going to college, which is where I learned that I do not like pink underwear.

Lessons learned while you're still young are as good as gold, in part because we are still young and malleable enough to learn. We can also enjoy the benefit of skipping out on a whole lot of foolishness while growing up because we've already learned a thing or two. Even at a youthful 40 years old, I can sense myself growing a more stubborn. My prayer is that God would keep my heart tender until the end.

Lamentations 3:26-28
26 So it is good to wait quietly
for salvation from the Lord.
27 And it is good for people to submit at an early age
to the yoke of his discipline:
28 Let them sit alone in silence
beneath the Lord’s demands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Luke, wanting to do your own laundry. wow we have all done some strange things to it, even grandma's!!! love you