Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On Being Married To Quarrel More Conveniently

This post is only good for a knowing smile and affirming nod, provided you are married. I haven't read The Horse And His Boy in years, but I have read it at least five times. The story takes place parenthetically within the better known tale of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. One of my favorite bits is on the second to last page when the story of the hero (Cor) and the heroine (Aravis) is being wrapped up. If you're familiar with the book, you'll recall the situation:

"Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I'm afraid even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently."

One thing that is true about every marriage is the existence of "quarreling." Of course the amount of bickering and disagreement varies widely, but I think strong marriages have a healthy dose of it, and healthy marriages have a strong dose of making up. This little sentence at the end of one of C.S. Lewis' works of fiction reminds me that disagreement in marriage is perfectly natural, and where there is true love, so is making up.


2 comments:

Ranaye Goodman said...

I just found your blog & am reading back. This really hit home with me. Thank you for sharing.

The Blainemonster said...

Yeah, I kinda like that perspective :) Hope you enjoy your further reading....