Friday, June 17, 2011

Don't Get Off On The Jam

"Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy[!]" Psalm 33:3

I was on a roof the other day, tearing off shingles with a friend (it's OK, we were supposed to be tearing them off...). He's a fellow minister and musician (I use that term loosely in reference to myself) and we started talking about music and worship and church. He told me that one of his music ministers used to tell the band: "Don't get off on the jam."


If you play an instrument or sing, or both, you know what it's like when you're in the sweet spot: your playing feels inspired, your voice is strong and, well, awesome. It's a fantastic feeling. But it doesn't mean (in the context of the church) that your musical offering is any more "spiritual" or "Spirit-filled." Goosebumps aren't always an indication of divine inspiration. I get goosebumps when my mom makes her strawberry shortcake. Of course, the argument for divine inspiration could be made on that point, but that would be a digression.

The best times in worship, and the best kind of worship, is when your heart is broken because it's filled to the brim and spilling over with the words of truth being sung about the majesty and works of our awesome God, regardless of your ability to play or sing.

Yes, King David tells us to "play skillfully", and we should. At least, we should play as skillfully as we can. It doesn't mean I'll play like Phil Keaggy or sing in the rafters like Phil Wickham. Play skillfully. You're not going to play as good as the best, but you should play YOUR best, whatever that is, and when it's really good, enjoy it, but worship God, not the goosebumps.


My compliments to the Sacred Sandwich for the cartoon...


4 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

to play inspire-dly, change your name to Phil. Obvii.

You make a great point Blaine. Good post.

The Blainemonster said...

Haha Chris! Why didn't I think of that sooner??? Philmonster hahaha

Anonymous said...

you both are 'apart' from me... but to offer some of your centeredness... I can't resist. Thanks brothers... this is a really blessed ministry within God's family.

Eddie Eddings said...

Good "musical" post!