Thursday, July 7, 2011

C.J., Still Humble

(A good portion of what is written below is copied directly from an email I sent to a friend this morning.)

Humility.

I find this strangely....refreshing and encouraging. C.J.'s humility, even in the face of charges having to do with pride, just floors me. Wow, do we need to see more of God's chosen leaders/shepherds submitting themselves humbly to the scrutiny of other trustworthy men to root out things like pride and arrogance and poor stewardship. I'm tired of hearing about ministers stealing money and cavorting with prostitutes. I don't necessarily rejoice to hear about this news, BUT I think we (the Church) tend to let other missteps slide...and mostly in our own hearts. I have no great love for money, I really don't deal with raging lust. But my heart is insufferably proud, I don't love people, and I'm regularly selfish. Anyway, I guess I'm just humbled, yet again, by C.J.'s example. I'm also impressed with the process I see happening at Sovereign Grace. The seriousness and gravity with which the reports were written gave me the first impression that something horribly grievous had transpired. In effect, I guess it did. Sin happened. And God's people (read: ME) should take that seriously.

I want to be very careful and avoid lifting up a man, but C.J.'s words in his letter, in the midst of this circumstance, have humbled me today.

17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 1 Peter 4:17

No comments: