Friday, July 1, 2011

Dropping Stones

"At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first..." John 8:9

I've always been intrigued by this part of the "adulterous woman" story (where was the fella, anyway???) where Jesus' words stop the mob in their tracks and the first ones to leave the scene are the older ones of the bunch. I think the reason they left is simple, and this narrative detail is important. These guys with a few more years of experience under their tunics knew their own hearts better than the younger, more brash, and overconfident men, and the fact that they left first simply demonstrates the wisdom that comes with age.

The Lord saved me when I was a child, and I've walked with him for (I can finally say this!) decades. And I'm more aware of my pitiful propensity to sin than I've ever been. But this isn't such a bad thing. Knowing how corrupt I am as a not-yet-fully-sanctified believer just throws more light on God's wonderful grace. It also gives me perspective in my relationships. When before I might be quick to accuse or sideline someone (like a fellow believer) with my own burning moral indignation, now I take a second or two and realize that, like it or not, we're all pretty broken, which means it's time to let accusations based on arrogance fall to the ground with a thud and walk away, trusting Jesus to take care of the situation.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Knowing how corrupt I am as a not-yet-fully-sanctified believer just throws more light on God's wonderful grace." ... indeed! Thanks for this Blaine.

The Blainemonster said...

God is gracious in that we're not necessarily hit with a complete vision of the depth of our sin right off the bat at conversion...I think we'd melt! I think it's a good thing that, for most of us, it's a gentle process...:)