Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm A Bit Apprehensive

On Friday, July 15th, I will begin a 9 day trip to Haiti. I and those with me (including my oldest son) will be working at Mission of Hope north of Port-au-Prince, playing a small part in the ministry going on at their orphanage as well as painting brand new homes that the Mission is constructing for displaced Haitians.


Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, with 90% unemployment and 80% of the population living in poverty. There are now 400,000 orphaned children in Haiti and 1 out of 5 children will die before they reach the age of 5. So please, quit crying and moaning about America's health care and our recession. (Ouch! Did I say that out loud?)

I'm apprehensive about this trip. I don't fear for my safety or my health. I'm just a bit antsy about what I will be confronted with in my heart and soul. I really mean that. Like so many, our family has felt the squeeze the past couple of years as consumer prices have jumped up and income (at least in our case) has actually gone backwards. It's been ... interesting. But you know what? I've never once gone to bed hungry. Our cupboards have food in them that's going stale because we don't eat it. All five of my sons eat their fill and then some everyday. I have clothes in my closet I haven't worn in a year because I have so many other clothes. I have four vehicles that run. I have a job. I have air conditioning. I have toothpaste and a soft pillow. I have everything I need and way more.

My heart is going to break in Haiti; that's what I expect. But I know it needs to happen and if it makes me more like Jesus, then bring it on.

8 comments:

THEOparadox said...

A humbling bit of perspective here. Thanks, I needed that. And I need a lot more of it. Hope your trip goes well in every way.

The Blainemonster said...

Me too! The Lord will have His way :)

cjbooth85 said...

I'm excited that you are going and glad you are apprehensive for all the right reasons.

You wouldn't be flying with Missionary Flights International would you?

The Blainemonster said...

Nope, Chris, just plain ol' American Airlines :)...just arrived in Miami....now in your time zone!

cjbooth85 said...

Ah. Welcome to the East Coast! My brother-in-law is one of MFI's pilots, that's all.

My daughter's on a short-term work trip in Harrisburg, PA. The whole group has been praying that God would 'wreck' them. By that I think they mean 'wreck' the self-centeredness and American obnoxiousness and really just expose sin and make them 'fit' for the work. From what I've heard, that's happened with them and I pray it'll happen for you too...that God would 'wreck' you.

Your heart will indeed break in Haiti...that's such a powerful thing!

btw, word verification: 'muclater.' good one.

The Blainemonster said...

Hahahaha thanks, Chris. That was encouraging and made me laugh :) Now, I'm off to board a plane!

cjbooth85 said...

Oops I guess I didn't mean 'wreck' in that way....................

The Blainemonster said...

Ha! Well I'm back safely, with no wrecks...although I'm pretty sure our flight into Miami "dropped" instead of landed...:)