Monday, December 5, 2011

The Problem With Stuff

"When we don't have what we want, the world corrupts us with covetousness. And when we do have what we want the world corrupts us with pride." ~ John Piper in Finally Alive

I'm trying hard to be content. I'm trying to be content with what I have and what I don't have. I think this has become somewhat easier as I've grown older, but I still have within me the tension of protecting what is MINE and desiring what I don't have YET. Our basis for contentment should begin with the state our souls. If we would take more time to meditate on the fact that all is well in that arena (assuming we are right with Christ), then perhaps our attachments to other things wouldn't be quite so fierce.








2 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

especially relevant in the post-black-friday-but-not-yet-Christmas mayhem.

May I warmly recommend a book? Jeremiah Burroughs's "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment."

Thanks Blaine

Ps. today's 'word verification': "pyronat"
:)

The Blainemonster said...

Pyronat...hmm...sounds like a bug playing with matches! :)

I may actually have a copy of that book lurking somewhere on my bookshelves, but if not, I'll pick one up. Thanks!