Monday, April 16, 2012

A Text From My Father

I really, REALLY, want to write about my experiences at T4G last week, but this story has to come first. All things considered, I suppose it is, in actuality, related to T4G in that it pertained to my trip home.

You see, I rode a motorcycle to T4G...was hoping Mark Dever would do an elimination round where I would be the only one left standing because I got there on two wheels, but oh well...and as the day of my 572 mile return trip drew near (the trip out was roughly the same *wink wink* ), heavy storms had entered the forecast near my destination.

This was really no big deal as far as riding was concerned as I've ridden in all kinds of weather, but it DID have the effect of prompting me to bug out of T4G a few hours earlier than I would have liked.

Other people were more concerned than I was, however, and sometime during the course of that day, before I had hit the road, I received a text from my 72 year old father. Yes, he texts. The message read:

"Good morning! Looks like you might get some rain today. Don't put yourself in danger...call and I'll come & get you if it's not safe. Dad."

Now read that again, keeping in mind his age, and my own (41). That is, I think, one of the sweetest things a dad could say to a son isn't it: "I'll come & get you if it's not safe." Do I even need to draw the spiritual connections here, or aren't they already painted in your heart and mind? Don't know if Dad is aware of what a beautiful, Godly thing he wrote in that simplest of statements. But I'm sure somebody in my nosey family will see this and point him toward my blog ;)

Apparently you never stop being a dad. I'll be pleased as punch if, in 30 years, I'm communicating these kinds of messages to my five boys. And I'm pretty sure this will have an influence on my dad skills right here and now.

While I'm thinking "dad" thoughts, CLICK HERE for a side trip to my dad's garage you can take as a bonus.



2 comments:

TimW said...

I'm just gonna pretend that was me on the bike and that it was my dad texting me... thanks for putting of the T4G post to get this one up. (my pastor urged me on sunday to start saving for the next T4G now... :)

The Blainemonster said...

I hope you can go! And me too for that matter! :)