Friday, April 20, 2012

The World Needs Tilting

Last week (from the time of this writing) at T4G I met up with an old friend, met a new friend, and met Dan Phillips. Dan was friendly and I expect would make a fine friend, but I'm not sure our five minute conversation constitutes friendship, although it most certainly is an acquaintance, and I look forward to chatting with him again sometime either here, there or in the air.

A few months back I read Dan's book, The World-Tilting Gospel, and found myself highlighting a whole-lotta-stuff (technical term).  Since I met Dan in person last week, and since T4G is all about keeping the Gospel the center of our faith, life and practice, I think the following quote from TWTG more than apropos:

"The world needs tilting, and bad doctrinal barriers need busting. I say we do it....The greatest need of the church today is a strategic, full-orbed, robust, biblical grasp of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and its transformative implications.  We don't need more glitz or glamour, better marketing or programs, snazzier decor or entertainment.  We do need a whole-Bible grasp of the Gospel."

It seems an odd thing to say, but the church does indeed need to stay vigorously centered on the Gospel; many churches are way off target.  As for transformation, what the Gospel does for the Church, it does for individual believers.  When I allow the Gospel to define my walk and filter my talk, to reign in my ego and open up my heart, Blaine Moore looks like a different person...more like Christ.

2 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

Great quote - maybe if the world were tilted enough, the untrue religions and idols keeping people from seeing Jesus would all slide off. :)

oh, how I wish I could go to T4G. Maybe someday.

Have you seen Jared Wilson's blog, The Gospel-Driven Church, at The Gospel Coalition? I think you'd like him very much. The quote you shared made me think of him and his blog...and books. And sermons.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/gospeldrivenchurch/

The Blainemonster said...

Haha slide off...I like that :) I haven't seen that blog, but I'll check it out for sure. T4G might be the only place we get to meet in person this side of heaven Chris!