Thursday, September 11, 2008

Certainly Not Perfect, But Pretty Good

Seven years ago this morning I was sick in bed. The morning news was on and the unbelievable images on the television arrested my heart and mind. What in the world was happening? It was absolutely unreal.

This morning I was thinking about our nation. I thought also of Europe and all of Asia: Post-Christian in the truest sense. At least here there is still some essence of Biblical morality. There is obviously a growing global disdain for America. I'm not going to use this space to go into the ins and outs of that issue. I simply want to state what I feel in my heart today, September 11th: America is great nation, full of problems, but still a great nation.

We are, at this time in history anyway, a place of hope for the world. Though our time as a superpower may be a blip on the historical radar screen, the time is now and I'm glad that even though we are powerful, we are also compassionate. The video below is from U2's Rattle and Hum film and features the song Bullet the Blue Sky. It is profound for those who can appreciate it. My apologies to those who won't. :) Also, please excuse the profanity of Adam Clayton at the beginning of the vid if you choose to watch it.


No comments: