Friday, September 26, 2008

Grain Elevators, Water Towers and Church Steeples

Every time I drive across western Kansas and look out across the rolling seas of bluestem, beans, corn, wheat and milo, I remember something I once heard. Sometimes all you can see out on the prairie are three things marking the existence of some dusty little town: a grain elevator, a water tower and a church steeple. Each one of these structures contains something that mankind needs. I like that. I like how out in the vastness of the Great Plains, men have made their priorites known (quite unintentionally I'm sure) by the structures they have built, and revealed a great truth: to live, we need food, water and faith. Most of all, we need faith because it feeds the soul.
I really like how uncluttered the prairie is, and these little towns and their essential structures make me want to have an uncluttered kind of faith. I want to grow a simple faith in the simple Gospel that stands out and offers to people just exactly what they need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, your deep thoughts have always been an inspiration and challenge to me. I am so glad we are connecting again. Even though we live (insert appropriate distance) away from each other. Your blog has been such a blessing. Thanks so much. By the way I really am going to give you a call. Maybe we could get together with our boys and go camping. Maybe we could do it in January during freezing rain and not be able to get a fire going even if we use brake fluid as a fire starter. Just a thought. C-ya

The Blainemonster said...

Al that's so hilarious! What memories! :D It would be SO cool to go camping together sometime. SOME kind of adventure!