Thursday, November 6, 2008

Just Boys

Children are fascinating creatures, especially when they are your own. My boys are complex and wonderful and funny and frustrating! I love to just watch them and see a little bit of me in the way that one tells a joke or a little bit of their mother in the way that one deals with friends or just to see something that is all their own.

Our firstborn is in the thick of the teenage years right now and there is no thrill ride that can compare! I love adventure, so this is absolutely fantastic. He's a great kid and growing up so fast it's almost frightening.

The next in line is at the threshold of teenagedom and exhibits moments of angst that seem oddly out of place in this heretofore very pleasant young man. The strangely comical part of this is that he reacts to life in much the same way that I did (DO). It's going to be a great ride.

The other three are still in full-blown childhood, enjoying the bliss for a little while longer.

Some days I feel like a chemist, and each boy is like a different chemical. I observe the reactions as they mix and emulsify - sometimes with pleasant results and sometimes blowing up the entire laboratory.

Deep down, at the foundation of things, I think we have peace in our home. I see it when we all sit down to dinner and pray. I see it when me and the guys are all in the living room watching Mythbusters. I see it when we all get out in the woods to go tromping around. They really do love each other, I've discovered.

Psalm 133
1 How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!
2 It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his robes.
3 It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.

1 comment:

. said...

Thanks for sharing this. Having my own boys it strikes a cord. Thank you Lord for our boys.