Friday, November 21, 2008

Quick!

A lot of folks are familiar with C.S. Lewis and his writings, in particular the Chronicles of Narnia and Mere Christianity. What many don't know, however, is that in addition to these and his other "theological" works, Lewis also wrote short stories, science fiction, and some very fine poetry.

IMO, his poetry reveals much about who this man was, what he struggled with, how his emotions colored his world, and how he related to his Savior. One of my favorites deals with the maddening dichotomy of our love for God and our struggle with sin.

Forbidden Pleasure

Quick! The black, sulphurous, never quenched,
Old festering fire begins to play
Once more within. Look! By brute force I have wrenched
Unmercifully my hands the other way.

Quick, Lord! On the rack thus, stretched tight,
Nerves clamouring as at nature's wrong.
Scorched to the quick, whipp'd raw - Lord, in this plight
You see, you see no man can suffer long.

Quick, Lord! Before new scorpions bring
New venom - ere fiends blow the fire
A second time - quick, show me that sweet thing
Which, 'spite of all, more deeply I desire


"Lord help! I want you more than anything, but my flesh is so weak!" In Romans 7, Paul says, "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it." Now, I realize that some folks believe that Paul is speaking hypothetically here, from an "unregenerate" point of view. I, however, am convinced that he is speaking of his own struggle with sin after his salvation. Theological and hamartiological discussions aside, the fact remains that the Christian's struggle with sin is often mind-bogglingly frustrating. Quick, Lord! Give me strength!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again....timely...is God forwarding my mail to you?

We are expecting some snow accumulation next week. Can't wait. Time to make my world famous snow man!

jennamduncan said...

I've now decided that I'm going to write on your posts just like you write on mine! :) this one will be a little shorter though because I only have one thing to say: Amazing!