Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Proof Positive

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." Hebrews 6:19

It takes some time for someone unfamiliar with the sea to get used to trusting in an anchor while a storm rages all around. Knowing the anchor is there doesn't make the wind abate or the waves diminish or the darkness dissolve. The sound and fury of the storm can be overwhelming, but in fact they signify nothing. Nothing, that is, if the ship is properly anchored. The longer I live, the greater peace I experience in Christ. It's not that I've earned the right to more peace, or even that life has been more peaceful. That is certainly not the case. Life is more challenging than ever, and suffering and stress are commonplace. What has happened is that I have seen over and over again that the Anchor has always held. I don't fear nearly as much that the boat might be swamped or the anchor chain could break.

Yet, we still are imperfect in our trust. In the book of Mark, a man brought his tormented son to Jesus: "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Charles Spurgeon commented on our lack of trust: "O unbelief, how strange a marvel thou art! We know not which most to wonder at, the faithfulness of God or the unbelief of his people. He keeps his promise a thousand times, and yet the next trial makes us doubt him."

Has God been good? He will be good. Has God been faithful? He will be faithful. He will not fail on any count. The longer we live, the deeper our history, the more we learn to trust and depend on Him because He proves himself over and over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have no idea how much I needed that today. Thank you. We have been going through a time of testing, a time of hurt, a time of difficulty. I know that God is faithful but sometimes it's good to be reminded. Again, thanks.

The Blainemonster said...

Wow, that's cool. I'm glad that encouraged you. I am praying for you!