Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How Could You???

So I'm reading again the story of Judah's king Amaziah in 2 Chronicles and I see a present day parallel in one poignant paragraph (random alliteration - my apologies!).

When Amaziah returned from slaughtering the Edomites, he brought back the gods of the people of Seir. He set them up as his own gods, bowed down to them and burned sacrifices to them. The anger of the LORD burned against Amaziah, and he sent a prophet to him, who said, "Why do you consult this people's gods, which could not save their own people from your hand?" ~ 2 Chronicles 25:14-15


At first read, Amaziah's action seem positively idiotic. Then, as you sit and think about it a bit, you might realize that many believers do this very same thing (without the slaughtering part). I've seen many Christians, myself included, who find new life in Christ, freedom from sin and victory over spiritual enemies, and then cling to a favorite fleshly indulgence. This can't be far from idolatry.

What people of old looked for in their idols is exactly what we look for in the sins we wink at and coddle: comfort, security, self worth, justification, etc. I think it's basically worship at another altar as we devote a bit of the love of our heart to some sinful activity, something that is essentially the god of our enemy.

I like this story. It throws a little more light on my sin and helps me realize the twisted nature of being human. It's cold water to my tired eyes, waking me up to the fact that Christ is everything I need and that idols truly are worthless.

As Paul says in Romans 6, "you died to sin, how can you live in it any longer?"

2 comments:

sealybear said...

Okay..so the worst of all this is we see others misteps and sins, while keeping our own idols, close to our hearts. When we say I would never, we usually, do the same or worse...so a good word for self inspection;)

The Blainemonster said...

Indeed!