Thursday, August 27, 2009

No Place Like Home

It's August 27th again, and that reminds me of two things: Life and death. Pretty heavy for August 27th, but this happens to be the date of my fifth son's birth six years ago. This was the son that wasn't supposed to live. Matthias will be happily eating birthday cake tonight. It is also the date of Ericka's death five years ago. Ericka was a vibrant, sincere, Christ-loving young lady in our youth ministry who was killed in an automobile accident after school.

I must tell you that every day - I mean EVERY day - I am aware of the mercy of God when I hug my son (usually several times). It's really a profound thing that he is with us. If you want the details, you can read them HERE. I am utterly, completely, deeply happy to have him safely home.

Regarding Ericka, I'm really not that sad. I know it still hurts her folks and her sister, and the friends she was in school with. But you know, it's kind of a weird thing you feel when a true believer passes from this life and enters the next ahead of you. Sure, it's sad, even heart rending sometimes, especially when the person is as young as Ericka, however there's a smile on the face of my heart because I know she also is safely home.

Home. That's a beautiful, comforting word for me. I hope it is for you. And it's pretty cool to think that one day I'll be home in the place Christ has prepared for me, and I have a feeling it won't be that unfamiliar, even though I've never been there.

Tonight I'll walk through my front door, be greeted by Matthias as he runs and jumps into my arms, and I'll instantly be at ease. Some day there's going to be a similar homecoming . . . you get the picture.

1 comment:

LayGuy said...

Awesome post Blaine.