Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Twenty-Seventh of August

Today's date will forever be stamped into my memory for two very profound reasons.
Four years ago today, a lovely teenage girl was killed in an automobile accident. She was a student in my youth group, and had one of the sweetest hearts for Jesus that I had ever known. There were 500 people in attendance at her funeral and they all heard the Great News about Christ that day, just exactly like she would have wanted.

Five years ago today, my fifth son was born. He was, and is, a miracle. Early in the pregnancy, he was diagnosed with ARPKD. This kidney disease is fatal to 50% of children in utero, and of those that are born, only a small percentage live through their first month. Our son turns five today. That summer of 2003 was like nothing I've ever experienced before. I've never been so lost or afraid, and never so supported and assured.
Life is such a wonderful mystery. How is it that pain sometimes brings healing, and fear can be a launchpad for faith? God blesses us in so many unexpected ways, and it's always better than we imagined. Above all, He is always, ALWAYS faithful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed Blain, your son is a miracle child. I am so glad for you and Michele that all is well with him. I had to take my grown son to the er friday. Chiro assistant next door came and got me from work stating there's an emergency with my son next door. They thought he had a seizure as his movements indicated convulsions of sorts. In retrospect I think when he passed out he was fighting for control. They did CT scan and all is well neurologically as far as we can tell, he has just moved out and found his independence so he's workin too hard, not eating or sleeping right as he's on 3rd 6 days a week 52 hrs wk. When he was at the hospital for tests he had another episode where his BP dropped to 67/34 and his HR was 30 bpm. At moments I felt so utterly terrified and alone. In control, but close to tears. Amazing how God puts such immense love in a parents heart for our children. I always imagine that we take how we feel towards our children and magnify that by a gazzilion and we're still not even close to how much our Savior loves us! God Bless and please keep my family in your prayers as I keep yours in mine. Debbi