Monday, August 11, 2008

Growing Young

My wife takes particular joy in my birthdays. I think it must be because I'm older than her, and obviously always will be. I don't mind birthdays. In fact, I can't wait to get old. I'm not sure exactly when that happens, but I'm looking forward to it.

Sure, I anticipate the eventual breaking down of my physical body, and even of my mind, but at this point I'm firmly convinced that's better than going back. You couldn't pay me enough to go back 20 years. Not even five years. Don't get me wrong; I have enjoyed my life so far. But the thing is, I'm so much better off now than I used to be. The cumulative joys and sorrows, celebrations and sufferings of each passing year bring a depth to life that I would loathe parting with.

Proverbs 15:15 declares that "The cheerful heart has a continual feast." This must be why life for the Christian just gets better. Or at least it ought to if we have the right understanding of things. If I state that my life is better now than it used to be, it's certainly not because I'm making more money now (not much, anyway) or that trials have vanished (do they ever end?).

Life is better now because every passing year, every trial endured, every blessing savored, confirms to me the faithfulness of God. Soli deo gloria! My heart truly does have a continual feast, because my satisfaction, joy and contentment are founded not on natural things, but on things that are beyond nature, as C.S. Lewis described.

Rich Mullins wrote a song called Growing Young in which he beautifully tells the story of a prodigal (himself...me...you) who finally runs back into the Father's arms. He sings of how life apart from God makes us old and steals our innocence: "we are children no more, we have sinned and grown old." The thrilling part, however, is when we return to the Father and begin "growing young."

Without a doubt, the prospect of the righteous is joy! So, as I stated earlier, I'm looking forward to growing old, and growing younger. :)

To quote one of my favorite Irish poets, Paul Hewson: "As you entered this life, I pray you depart, with a wrinkled face and a brand new heart."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! This is why I miss "my time with you!" Should have never let that happen!!

The Blainemonster said...

Well, Al, you have no idea the impact you've had on my life. You are a true friend!