Monday, August 4, 2008

What Makes Me What I Am

Nothing gives me chills like a bold declaration of something true that I have come to know so deeply that it stirs me inside. Nothing gives me confidence like knowing I can trust God's absolute truth. Nothing centers me like the rock solid words of Christ.

Before he died (obviously ;) ) Rich Mullins set to music the words of The Apostle's Creed. The video of the song is below. It's certainly not award winning in its production or wow factor, but it's beautiful nonetheless. I mean, hey, it's Rich Mullins playing his hammer dulcimer in the Flint Hills of Kansas and singing about eternal truths. What could be better?





I believe it. I BELIEVE it. I didn't make it, it is making me. The longer I live, the more I understand this and take comfort in it! We don't decide what truth is, we discover what it is because God's truth has always been. It did not at some point become the Truth.

In another song, Rich wonders about the wonderful faith that he is "climbing to or falling in." He calls the love of God a "reckless raging fury." And it's true. There is nothing like being caught up in the workings of God, constantly and consistently awed and amazed by His wisdom, His plans and His mystery, and feeling like I'm struggling so hard to grow yet all the while knowing that somehow I am lifted up and drawn closer by God's strength and not my own. This thing is making me, and that is the power of God's Truth.

No comments: