Thursday, August 28, 2008

1500 Miles, 72 Hours, Lots of Baggage

The motorcycle trip to South Dakota is over, the Buell is developing a fuel pump issue, and I am tired.

The trip itself was great: the Badlands, the Black Hills, and Mount Rushmore.


One of the best parts was a stretch of asphalt called the Iron Mountain road to the south of Mount Rushmore - it is candy for a motorcycle.




It's one 15mph hairpin after another, pigtail bridges, one lane tunnels and a couple of interesting portions where the two lane divides and it's like having your own personal twelve foot wide sidewalk through the forest to ride on. The video below shows just a few minutes of the road (not sure why the fella didn't film the whole thing!

All in all, this journey was everything a motorcycle trip ought to be: hot, cold, some mechanical difficulty, road deafness, amazing views and good, hard riding.


What I didn't expect was what I came home with - all the extra baggage. Not the souvenir type, but all the stuff that came to mind while riding that I am facing in life right now. These are the parts of me that need work. Growth should never stop in a Christian's life because there is just always more to learn and to acheive. Some stretches of life are particularly challenging, and I think I'm there right now.

Even though my marriage is great and my children are doing well, there are occasions when I feel like I'm pushing through some kind of cocoon. More than anything, I want to shed more of my selfishness and pride and be able to hear the voice of God more clearly than ever.

It's like riding the interstate, heading into a buffeting headwind in 95 degree heat: it's uncomfortable and taxing, but every mile of asphalt under the tires brings you closer to home.

No comments: