Friday, April 23, 2010

The Song I Couldn't Sing

Stopped in my vocal tracks. It took my breath away. It was all I could do to not cry out loud.

The last three to four months have been very tough ones for me emotionally for a whole sack full of reasons. And when I arrived at the T4G conference early last week, I was overwhelmed by what God had in store.

Before one of our sessions, we sang "How Firm A Foundation" and I absolutely could not sing during the two middle verses:

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
the rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
for I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
and sanctify to thee, thy deepest distress.

When through fiery trials they pathway shall lie,
my grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
the flame shall not hurt thee, I only design
thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

Although I could vocalize nothing, my heart sang as my eyes wept and my hands were raised. I had been overcome by the bulldozer of Truth! Light had broken through the clouds and my God revealed His strong arm of salvation!

This Sunday I'll be leading this hymn as our church comes together for worship. I pray I can get through it, and I pray it opens up the doors of heaven for someone else in need of hope.

2 comments:

TimW said...

oh Blaine... my heart resonates and reaches out to you... and I delight to pray with you! Our God is Great and His ways beyond finding out.

Tonight, I am full of joy in Christ my Savior. I am not always stationed here. But tonight I am. and I desire to always be...

I want you to move to NJ and become our Youth Pastor... but that would not be fair to your church, would it? ;]

The Blainemonster said...

God is so gracious! And how sweet it is to feel His presence very close :)

And I can only move to Jersey if there's a house big enough for my five boys!