Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Sin Metaphor

The Savior, hanging above the earth, filthy, stinking, bleeding, agonizing, and becoming sin for me, demonstrated not only the lengths to which He would go to accomplish my salvation and rescue, but also in that Passion provided a visual metaphor of what sin does (has done, more properly) to the human soul. At the hands of sin (into which we willingly give ourselves up!) the soul is mercilessly shamed and stripped, beaten and torn, crushed and dessicated, pierced and drained and finally strung up to die.

If only all men could see themselves as they actually are, beyond clothing and form and flesh, they would realize that their souls resemble that picture of the Savior, decimated and suffering and succumbing to death on the cross.


Christ's suffering was horrible, but it had to be. And in it He showed me what He saved me from: what I used to be before I was clothed in His righteousness by God's unbelievable (but I must believe it!) grace.

"For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21



If you have eighteen minutes, the following is a great summary of historical crucifixion as well as Christ's suffering and His substitutionary atonement:

4 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

I know how much you like Phil Keaggy...I know you must already know the song...I just wanted to put it together with your post....which took my breath away...


Once I prayed, I knew not what I said.
Show me myself, oh Lord,
Alas I did not dread
The hideous sight which now
I shudder to behold,
Because I knew not self-aright.

And I was led in answer to my prayer,
As step by step to see
My wretched heart lay bare.
Then I prayed,
Stay, Lord, I cannot bear the sight.
And pityingly His hand was stayed,
His hand was stayed.

Now I pray, I know that prayer is right,
Show me Thyself, oh Lord,
Be to myself the Bright and Morning Star
To shine upon the grave of self
And lead my heart from earth afar,
From earth afar.

Anonymous said...

Blaine, your words sort of directed me to consider some things in different light that are dearly helpful. It makes these words come into much better focus... "who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame". Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for Wednesday, for reminding me to mourn.
I needed to remember and to face again just how awful the torture was for Christ, because to see what He went through just tells me even LOUDER how much He loves.
What he did gives us purpose and reason. If we push aside to horrible death he suffered then how can we understand the full meaning of His life and resurrection?
Thanks for a post that reminds me again.

The Blainemonster said...

Chris - Beautiful! Beautiful.

Tim - Yeah, me too - it was kind of in my heart and I had to write it out to "hear it" you know?

Anon - I need reminding everyday, as dull as I am!