Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Young Hearts And Fire

For some time I've been reading selections from Spurgeon to my teenage Sunday School class off and on to get our class started. A few weeks back, I offered to buy a copy of Morning and Evening for any student who wanted one, as some of them had grown quite fond of our occasional readings. Five young people requested a copy.

The books came in.

I passed them out (along with a personal note from me inside the front cover of each one).

Tonight I received a text message from one 18 year old: "Wow...Spurgeon was great 2day. I feel as though my heart has slowly grown harder. Pray that my heart be ablaze in God's Spirit. Thanks." How cool is that! That young man made my day.

Below is the excerpt he had read:

"Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord."—Lamentations 3:40.

The spouse who fondly loves her absent husband longs for his return; a long protracted separation from her lord is a semi-death to her spirit: and so with souls who love the Saviour much, they must see His face, they cannot bear that He should be away upon the mountains of Bether, and no more hold communion with them. A reproaching glance, an uplifted finger will be grievous to loving children, who fear to offend their tender father, and are only happy in his smile. Beloved, it was so once with you. A text of Scripture, a threatening, a touch of the rod of affliction, and you went to your Father's feet, crying, "Show me wherefore Thou contendest with me?" Is it so now? Are you content to follow Jesus afar off? Can you contemplate suspended communion with Christ without alarm? Can you bear to have your Beloved walking contrary to you, because you walk contrary to Him? Have your sins separated between you and your God, and is your heart at rest? O let me affectionately warn you, for it is a grievous thing when we can live contentedly without the present enjoyment of the Saviour's face. Let us labour to feel what an evil thing this is—little love to our own dying Saviour, little joy in our precious Jesus, little fellowship with the Beloved! Hold a true Lent in your souls, while you sorrow over your hardness of heart. Do not stop at sorrow! Remember where you first received salvation. Go at once to the cross. There, and there only, can you get your spirit quickened. No matter how hard, how insensible, how dead we may have become, let us go again in all the rags and poverty, and defilement of our natural condition. Let us clasp that cross, let us look into those languid eyes, let us bathe in that fountain filled with blood—this will bring back to us our first love; this will restore the simplicity of our faith, and the tenderness of our heart.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

morning, that is very special blaine. if you ever order more of those order me one if you would. love you and have a fine day. I anticipate one with the warmth and sunshine out there!! mom

cjbooth85 said...

"it is a grievous thing when we can live contentedly without the present enjoyment of the Saviour's face."

Wow, that is painful because I have experienced that very thing...trying to live contentedly apart from close communion with Christ. In fact, myself included, that may just be the Plague of the Western Church.

The Blainemonster said...

Chris - I know it. It's appalling how I try to get along with "just enough" of Jesus. Why dabble? What kind of love is that? Why don't we throw ourselves into life with Christ heart and soul (AND mind and strength)? :/

Anonymous said...

Blaine, this book 'Morning and Evening' was in significant part the vehicle that led me back into God's word. Assuredly, it was the Holy Spirit at work... yet I have great affection for Charles Spurgeon and especially this book as he was a vessel through which the Gospel was poured faithfully into my life for a good long season. I'm glad you are passing this book on to young saints and sinners. Glory to God.

The Blainemonster said...

Tim - Spurgeon has been instrumental in my life as well, insomuch as he exalts Christ and the Gospel in such a beautiful way.

AND, it is definitely exciting for me to see these young people digging into such good, solid teaching.

THEOparadox said...

Needed that.