Saturday, March 27, 2010

Kitchen Music

On the heels of yesterday's post . . . a series of connections led me to dig around YouTube to find music by a guitarist I've enjoyed by the name of Jimmy A (Abegg). I became familiar with Abegg listening to Charlie Peacock and Rich Mullins' Ragamuffin Band. At any rate, here's something light and beautiful for the weekend; a couple videos of some great (but lesser known, unfortunately - though they'd probably like to keep it that way) names in Christian music jamming in someone's kitchen of all places.

In this first vid, Jimmy A is to the left of Michael Roe, and on Jimmy's left is Phil Madeira. To Michael's right is Matt Slocum of Sixpence.



Matt Slocum playing the cello in this song takes my breath away. I don't know what it is about cellos and violins . . that sweet, resonant wood and how it shapes the notes and sends them out like love poems . . . I just don't know.

1 comment:

cjbooth85 said...

funny that you mention the cello. I've just been perusing youtube looking for a piece that I thought yo yo ma had performed (but he didn't). I found Pablo Casals but the sound quality was terrible.

I'll put up something soon though, because its been on my mind. I feel the same way about the cello (the violin, well, not so much...). Rich wooden tones. Evocative and delicious. Violin: bright like lemon; cello: dark like chocolate. Yum.