Monday, March 8, 2010

Grooves In The Guitar

What's the best doggone gift you ever received for a birthday or holiday? Hands down, without hesitation, the best gift I was ever given was my Taylor 514ce guitar nearly ten years ago. My wife knew it was my dream guitar, and over a period of several weeks she schemed and connived and got one bought for me. I had NO idea whatsoever, but all my friends were in on it, and she got everybody to chip in. I was dumbfounded when they presented it to me at a worship rehearsal we were all at together.

Now, I'm no fantastic player (my 13 year old son is the speed freak), but I love to chug out some pretty chords for the Savior. And these (nearly) 10 years have taken their toll on my cedar topped Taylor.

I've worn away a lot of wood from around the bottom of the sound hole. Fortunately, the abalone inlay appears to be impervious to my picking. One recent evening playing with our youth band, I tore open the skin on the first knuckle on the index finger of my strumming hand and literally bled all over my guitar. Those black spots inside aren't dirt . . .


I used to feel so awful when my beautiful instrument started to show signs of wear. I felt ashamed actually, thinking I must be doing something wrong. Then I started to notice other guy's guitars; there are some pretty worn out guitars on stages all over this planet (Willie Nelson, anyone?). Even Bob Taylor, creator and founder of Taylor Guitars, says that he loves to see one of his guitars with dings, dents and lots of mileage on it - it means that it's been played and used and loved. So, I guess I don't mind the age showing on my guitar. I daresay it sounds even better now (if that's possible) than it did new.

Which leads me to my point: the older I get, the more "damage" I seem to sustain. I've got scars, dents, imperfections - proof of hard use. I've been bloodied by life a time or two, but the beautiful thing of it is, my merciful God keeps changing my strings, keeping me polished, and playing better and more beautiful music on me with each passing year. I'm realizing that I'm nothing more than an instrument, and though I wish I could look a little better than I do inside, frankly I don't care if I reach the end of this life as a worn out stump as long as I've been used well in the hands of the Master.

Please check out this coincidentally-somewhat-related-and-very-cool-post. Thanks, Chris.

5 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

Jon foreman has a one-inch hole in the top of one of his Taylors. You can see it in some of the Youtube videos.

Once again, great post. Great point and I emailed this to my daughter's boyfriend (a Guild man but you'd like him anyway...) and he liked the post too. I mention it because he plays and has been through a lot and wants so badly for the Lord to use him.

Anyway, yeah, good post.....

The Blainemonster said...

Awright! I'm in good company then :)

I'll remember to pray for that young man...

BTW-I just noticed today that my comments on your recent posts haven't showed up - I apologize - I'm not sure if there's a glitch with the word verification or what, but I wanted you to know that I really loved the God Redeems Idolaters and This Side posts. I love listening to Nickel Creek. Just great stuff.

cjbooth85 said...

Hmm, yeah I don't see any comments, though the one on your Metrosexual score (low I thought - you'll have to try harder - try the scarf and buy a silver Jetta heh) did show up.

Yeah, my daughter's boyfriend's name is Dan Austin and he has a gift for music. Thanks for praying for him...or was that tongue-in-cheek because he plays Guilds?

Here's his band's myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/tillwehavefaceshome

and here's his personal one: http://www.myspace.com/danaustinmusic.

Much of the stuff was created when he was 16 and 17 years old! Sheesh, I'm proud as if I was his parent or something. What a blessing to have a 'daughter's boyfriend' that we like!!

cjbooth85 said...

oh, and thanks for liking the Nickel Creek post. I think you (and I) were the only ones. My family thinks I'm weird

The Blainemonster said...

Chris- I found out what was happening! When commenting on your blog, I need to actually preview my comments before the word verification will pop up. If I don't preview, it appears to go through but actually doesn't. Discovered that today through experimentation when commenting on the metrosexual piece. Not sure about the scarf, but maybe the Jetta...:D