Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bathing In Beauty

You know your wife is the most beautiful woman that ever lived, but you can't really explain it. You gasp and grasp for words when the mountains rise out of the plains before you and there's nothing to say but "wow." We just don't know exactly what to do with beauty and the way it makes us feel.

So, in keeping with the topic of "beauty" one more day (see HERE and THERE), I'm going to quote C.S. Lewis from The Weight of Glory again:

"We do not want merely to see beauty, though, God knows, even that is bounty enough. We want something else which can hardly be put into words - to be united with the beauty we see, to pass into it, to receive it into ourselves, to bathe in it, to become part of it."

True enough. Beauty emanates from the Creator and He must be absolutely, utterly stunning in His radiance and magnificence AND in His subtlety and gentleness for these also are elements of beauty.

To cap this all off, here is a video from Need to Breathe called, appropriately enough, "Something Beautiful":
(MISCELLANY: The standing guitarist is using DADGAD tuning, I think; the box they're beating on is called a cajon; the breakdown that starts at 3:14 is awesome!)




5 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

Heh, "to bathe in it..." I used a really bad metaphor recently to describe this:

"like a fat, happy pig rooting and rolling in his slop..."

not exactly kosher, but maybe it gets the same kind of point across?

I've seen video footage of whales shooting out of the water and crashing with a giant splash back into the water...maybe that's a better image....

Anonymous said...

and... He is - uniquely, absolutely, utterly stunning in His radiance and magnificence...

I love how God gives words for us to express the things He shows us... I love that you express them so well!

and... I love this song/group. hadn't heard of them (like most groups.. grin, my music doesn't get updated without the help of my kids or guys like you ;D... did really like the 'breakdown'
Thanks!

The Blainemonster said...

Chris - I'll bet a pig rolling in his slop is no less happy than a breaching whale! :D

Tim - I'm just getting familiar with this group; my second son and I dig the guitar playing :)

cjbooth85 said...

Ok one more reference about Beauty cause I'm sure you want to move on.to other things...but it just occurred to me that sara groves has her song, "add to the beauty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBhaX0eDBbY

what a great song writer...

TimW said...

agreed.. Sara is a great song writer, and I really enjoy her clean simple style.