Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Calvin: Not A Calvinist!

Poor Frenchman Jean Cauvin was and is a misunderstood theologian. Seems to me folks in certain evangelical circles react to the word "Calvinism" the way they would to "chicken cult" or "hard drive crash".

The truth of the matter is that John Calvin (his better-sounding Latinized name) hated the word "Calvinism". He never intended to introduce a brand new school of thought . All he wanted to do was preach the Gospel and the truth about justification as the early church had done. Calvin was a quiet theologian, at war with the Holy Roman empire and its contorted "gospel" and its many abuses. Post tenebras, lux. After all that darkness, Calvin was bringing light.

His mindset was that salvation is a gift of God's grace alone, not found in a pope or a Mass, but in Christ alone and received simply by faith alone. Further, the only way to know these truths for certain is through Scripture alone. The sinner contributes nothing to his salvation; all the glory for our gracious salvation goes to God alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude... or 'brother'.. you rock! haha, I love this post,especially from my current context. Thanks!

THEOparadox said...

So true. I don't like the Calvinist label because it sounds so . . . man-centered! But then again, I haven't found a better label that accurately describes my theology. So, in contrast to Calvin I am left to call myself a Calvinist. But before that, a Christian, and a Gospel-centered one, with "Calvinism" coming in as a descriptor somewhere down the line from there.

BTW - I enjoyed your Father's Day sermon about husbands loving their wives. Perhaps I should rather say I was deeply challenged and convicted to think of how I am supposed to be loving my precious bride. Ephesians 5 is like a sun that exposes our pride and selfishness every time we step into its light - but God has promised to conform us to the very image of His Son! What a hope!

Blessings,
Derek

The Blainemonster said...

Derek and Tim -

Wow it's not hard to understand Calvin's disgust. Can you imagine Ashtonism or Wittenism or Moorishness? HA! :D But for us, Calvinism is, as you said Derek, merely a descriptor.

Derek, I appreciate your kind words regarding that sermon. Preaching those kinds of things, I really feel the weight of it because I realize how far I've got to go yet.

But God is merciful and is everyday conforming us to the image of His Son.