Friday, August 13, 2010

Don't Forget Your Father Loves You

I keep sort of a running journal for each of my five sons, marking down important events, hilarious happenings and fond memories that would be too easily forgotten. Here's the first entry in the journal of son #4, Jonathan, from October of 1999:

"Jonathan, I am so proud and excited to be your daddy. You were born last Thursday evening at 7:22 and I cried when I saw you for the first time. What a wonderful, happy, inexplicable moment: the birth of a child. When we brought you home on the 16th, I held you in my arms as I sat on the floor with Luke climbing onto my lap and Jack and Brayden close by. THAT moment, I can truly say, was one of the happiest, most incredible, proudest and most treasured moments of my life. A man with his four sons - sons he loves with all his heart and then some - all around him. My heart swelled again Sunday the 17th at church when Pastor Kent announced your birth. As he read your name I was so proud. I know that each one of you is a gift of God’s grace to your mother and I. I am the happiest man on earth. I love you boys, I love your mom and I know that God has blessed our home."

As a dad, I think I would do well to spend more time thinking of the parallels between my fatherly affection for my boys and the heavenly Father's affection for His children. Can you imagine a picture similar to this journal entry, only at the new birth of a Christian? Can you imagine the angels rejoicing, other believers gathered around, thrilled at the new arrival! The wonder of new birth should not be lost on us.

No comments: