Monday, August 23, 2010

Fat and (Ultimately) Unhappy

I don't frequent the swimming pool too often, but recently my family visited a nearby public pool and water park. (Before you read further, I must assure you that this post does indeed have important spiritual implications...please continue.)

Honestly, I was astonished at the number of overweight people cooling off at the pool. I don't mean "big-boned" folks or those who are genetically disposed to be endomorphic. There was simply no end to the people at the pool who were grossly, unhealthily obese. Even children and teens. I don't intend to be indelicate (mmm...perhaps I do), but Americans are fat. We don't really need examples to prove this, but the spark that ignited these burning thoughts within me was the crass "stuff-your-face" mentality shown here.

The trip to the pool troubled me not just because these folks are certainly almost guaranteed an early grave, but because it's such a visual picture of an equally dangerous spiritual condition.

Through Jeremiah, God warns against those who have "grown fat and sleek" and "do not defend the rights of the poor." Through Hosea, He declares, almost lamenting, that His well-fed people have forgotten Him. The connotation is that they have mistaken full bellies for well-satisfied souls, when the truth is that they are spiritually starving.

My sons get antsy if supper is an hour overdue . . . but they don't have a clue what it means to be really, truly hungry. Neither do I. The blessing of a continual supply of food that we enjoy in the States easily blinds us to the nearly 1 billion people on earth who do not have enough food to sustain healthy life. The least we can do is remember to be grateful. Beyond that, we can give. And even beyond that, we could stand to eat less for the sake of our own bodies.

For the sake of our souls however, we should be more thankful for what God supplies for our bodies. We should not eat and forget. We should acknowledge and remember and give. That's pure religion.

4 comments:

shannoon:) said...

SO true..and really do any of us feel well..or truly satisfied.. I always am sharper and more on task ..with a little bit of hunger..a hunger for truth , or righteousness, or knowledge.. just sayin;)

The Blainemonster said...

Bingo! I think you're exactly right...it's the hunger (physical or spiritual) that reminds us we're alive . . . and needy. Thanks Shannoon! haha

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for this brother. A good reminder. I have no chance of fitting through the eye of that needle without the one and only God! May we freely give as it is not ours anyway...

The Blainemonster said...

Hi, Rob! This is a lesson I sooo need to learn. I'm not typically a giver who gives freely, but God is helping me :)