Monday, November 8, 2010

Dude, Your Father Is Here!

This past weekend I was travelling with twenty-some teenagers, three of which belonged to me personally. At a "pit stop" on the way home, everyone was in line at McDonald's when my wife and I noticed that our second born wasn't around. All the kids were quite hungry by that time and we were surprised that he wasn't in line. We found him lurking around outside McD's with a friend and we asked him: "Are you gonna eat? Aren't you hungry?" The response was extraordinary: "Well, yeah, but I don't have any money."

!!!

My instantaneous exclamatory reply? "DUDE, YOUR FATHER IS HERE! I'VE GOT MONEY!" I then handed him a fiver and told him to go eat.

Now this son of mine happens to be the only miserly one we've raised so far. He likes to earn his own money, save it, spend it on worthwhile things, and when he has no money, he doesn't go begging because he'd rather do without. This bodes well for his future, and I'm pleased that he's wired that way. This character trait of his gave rise to the aforementioned situation as well as the about-to-be-mentioned illustration.

How many of us as believers tremble before our enemies, cower before temptation and worry over life's cares when right there in our immediate presence is our Father? I'm hungry and He supplies, I'm scared and He comforts, I'm weighed down and He relieves my burden.

Oh Lord, forgive me for stubbornly trying to do "life" without You. You are my all in all.

3 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

Good post Blaine! I'll try to listen for your voice next time I'm afraid: "Dude, your Father is here!"

The Blainemonster said...

It's one of those "duh" moments, ya know? :)

Anonymous said...

wow blaine a good word that is needed to be heard often. tks mom