Monday, November 29, 2010

Strength To Be Content

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." ~ Philippians 4:13

If you've ever heard this verse quoted as a declaration to go do something great for God, or go out and achieve your dreams, or get that job, or pass that exam, or any such thing, raise your hand. Yeah, me too.

But you know what - it doesn't mean that. At least not primarily.

This verse isn't about achievement. It's about contentment. Paul is wrapping up a paragraph talking about a secret that he's learned, namely, the secret of being content in any and every situation. When Jesus knocked Paul off his horse, Paul gave up what was most likely a life of relative ease. He chose suffering with Jesus - and found true joy and contentment in following in His footsteps.

So,whether I'm poor or in plenty, starving or stuffed, I can do this! God gives me strength to be content! I can live for God and fulfill my calling in Christ in perfect contentment, without being choked by the worries and cares of the world, because God gives me the strength to be content, at peace, and satisfied. And beyond that, being contented is a real sign to others that this world just isn't all it's cracked up to be (and it's really cracked up), nor is it our home. Contentment loudly proclaims that God is my provider and He's totally dependable, whatever comes.

That's cool!

This weekend our pastor said there are two things that are true about contentment:

1. Contentment is always possible and,
2. Contentment is always chosen.

The best part of it all is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with health or wealth or circumstance, but everything to do with the all-surpassing power of God's strength. Awesome.

3 comments:

semper reformanda said...

and contentment is always required.

The Blainemonster said...

Indeed and absolutely.

Anonymous said...

always learning and choosing to be content. seems a daily thing isn't it but the best thing to do. mom