Friday, November 26, 2010

It's ALL The Time


How many times? How many times have I heard someone declare "God is good!" when they found a short line at Wal-Mart when they were in a hurry, or a good deal on the car of their dreams, or got front row tickets to a concert they thought was sold out?

Why is it we only hear "God is good" when things like this happen - things that aren't even that important! How about because of Jesus my death sentence has been lifted: "God is good!" How about even though outwardly I'm wasting away yet inwardly I'm being renewed day by day: "God is good!" How about the fact that we have a roof and some food in the fridge: "God is good!"

Moreover, how about "God is good" when your tire is flat, when your flight is delayed, when your children are ill, when your bank account has an echo?

God IS good. God is GOOD. His goodness goes beyond our shortsighted ideas of how life ought to be. His goodness, love and favor towards those whom He has adopted by grace is unquestionable. It is rich, comforting and stabilizing. He is good ALL the time.

1 comment:

THEOparadox said...

Blaine,

Great thoughts here. GOD is good! This basic fact forces us to re-orient our thoughts to a more eternal view, and a more encompassing view that incorporates and appreciates the full spectrum range of God's mercy and truth.

How often have I looked at my temporary disappointments and uttered a complaint, or looked at my temporary successes and issued shallow praise? More than I can count, but it's shameful and (hopefully) is changing - by His grace.

Blessings,
Derek