Thursday, November 4, 2010

I've Got Something To Say

Some Christians, perhaps many, though not all, suffer profoundly from depression, doubt and the quickly changing tide of their temperament. King David, Martin Luther, William Cowper and Charles Spurgeon were all Godly men who suffered under the mind-bending, heart-rending throes of depression and anxiety.

I don't want to spend any time today talking about causes and triggers and remedies; I simply want to share a song from Starfield that expresses the feelings of a melancholy heart. I hope it's a blessing.

The bridge is particularly meaningful:
And faith might mean there won't be answers
And hope might mean enduring through the night
But help me not forget in darkness
The things that I believed in light



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this song is speaking to places I don't often go. I stand on what I know and don't often give credibility to what I might be feeling. I'm happy when it's black and white. But... what I'm dealing with is not necessarily black and white and so it's really hard to respond well.

I think I've listened to this song over ten times... just to give thought to the reality of a crisis of faith.

I don't want a crisis of faith... but maybe that's what I'm facing.

How do I know if my brother is 'my brother' and not the enemy?

The Blainemonster said...

Hey Tim - It's a fact that our "brother" often feels like the enemy. Definitely not how God's Church ought to be. I think this is one of the hardest things to deal with. I often think of Romans 12 where it says that "if it possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." I like that "if it is possible" is part of that. I know brothers and sisters that are extremely difficult, almost impossible to be at peace with. They stir up trouble, they have agendas...I have to steer clear of them in order to keep the peace. And I keep praying that Jesus will help me to understand, to act wisely, and even for an eventual reconciliation if possible. Family life is difficult sometimes, no? :)

The Blainemonster said...

And like you, Tim - I've listened to it over and over...