Friday, January 7, 2011

Grace Works

Nothing motivates like grace.

I've found that my children are more obedient (willingly obedient!) when they understand where I'm coming from as I ask or require certain things from them. And these "commands" span the spectrum from "would you please vacuum the living room" to "don't you dare be an idiot when you post something on Facebook." When they understand that my intentions for them are full of love and not domination, when they realize that I value them highly enough to give them some safe boundaries, when they begin to see the sacrifices that have been made for them and what a scandal it is to rebel against the love of their parents, they not only want to do what is right, but they also do it with eagerness.

Of course my boys know I have the authority to discipline them and will do so appropriately and when necessary. They also know that I am for them, and obedience is easier when trust has been achieved.

But this isn't a parenting lesson; it's an attempt to highlight how liberating God's grace can be.

His great love and favor actually set us free to obey. When threats and intimidation fail, grace works. ;)

"For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age." Titus 2:11-12

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to the words you wrote and love the picture, is that ice?? wow Mom

The Blainemonster said...

Sure is! Ice on Lake Perry. Looks gigantic, but it's only about 4 inches high :)