Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pas Facile

Simplicity does not necessarily indicate facility.

One of the simplest things to do in the Christian life is to surrender ourselves completely and utterly to the Lord Jesus Christ. Simple, yes. Easy, no.

I'm baffled yet again at my ability to complicate my walk with Jesus and head off in dark and twisted directions. I find myself praying for help to do this or do that, when in fact everything is secondary to having a surrendered heart.

My prayer life, and consequently my life, is much better off when I'm keeping things simple: Lord, help me to really love people - because I don't. Teach me to serve like You served, because I'm selfish. Remind me to trust Your promises, because I tend to forget.

"In quietness and trust is your strength," says Isaiah 30:15. Interesting how we know that part so well, yet neglect the rest of the sentence: "but you would have none of it." That's me. I'd rather squirm and fidget and fight and indulge in some form of Believer's OCD.

Jesus, teach me to repent, rest, be quiet and trust.

2 comments:

Rob Peck said...

It is good to have someone to struggle with brother! Thanks for sharing your heart.

It is good we serve the God of all Grace!

The Blainemonster said...

Hi Rob! You're right - it's no good going along and pretending we've got everything together :). We sure don't need to wear our weaknesses like a badge of honor, but we can use them to remind us that our God is the only reliable strength we have!